Sennheiser Momentum, AKG K551, BO H3, MrSpeakers Alpha Prime
regtime
2014-11-6
Post time 2014-11-6 02:25:17 |Show all posts |
Full version can be found on Head-Fi.org

FIIO X1 DAP world preview tour report
By CasperBxl on Head-fi.org

Disclaimer:
The unit was made available by FIIO for a review without any  expectations or requirements, other thandoing a review of the product.

The short version:
The FIIO X1 is a DAP, Digital Audio Player. It is not a DAC (Digital to AnalogConverter) and it is not an AMP (Amplifier). It does have a “Line Out” Settingfor its 3.5mm connection.

This is a great product for anybody who want to listen to music on thego or relax at home or work. I used the unit extensively at home, at work andon the go. The X1 is easy to use, small, and light and delivers very goodsound. Battery life is great and listening more than 1 day on a charge is noproblem.
It plays about all file formats, from low grade MP3 to 192 Khz/24bitFLAC and everything in between.
The sound quality is great, no ifs or buts, simply great. From Dubstep,Trance, Dance all the way to Classical. The sound is neutral, fun and engaging.Using the customizable EQ you can tune it further to your liking.

I used the X1 with B&O H3 in ears, Sennheiser Momentum over-ear andthe AKG K551 over-ear headphones.

... A bit more information ...

Menu System:
The X1 is operated by the rotating control disk and the buttons on thefront of the unit. Rotate the wheel to the menu item and press the circularcenter button on the unit to select the menu item.

The base color of the background and menu can be set in the “SystemSettings”.

NowPlaying: Jump to the screen showingthe currently playing item.
Category:Find you music by criteria. List of “All Songs”, “Album”, “Artist”, “Genre”,“Favorites”
Browse Files: Find you music by your own folder structure
Play Settings:All the different setting for playing music. Linear, Random, Gapless, MaxVolume, EQ, Balance, …
EQ: numerous presets and custom settingspossible
System Settings: Manual Library Update, Lock screen (whatbuttons can you use when the screen is locked = off), Screen Timeout,Brightness, idle power off, etc

For Reference:I used the B&O H3 in ears, Sennheiser Momentum over-ear and the AKGK551 over-ear headphones. My colleagues at work also used it combined withShure 215 in-ears and the Bose Noise Canceling on-ears.  In total we used with about 6 people, myself and colleagues atwork.  My colleagues range for casuallisteners to audiophiles with a good musical ear.  

OK! OK!! OK!!!    Well … how does is it? How is the FIIO X1?
The X1 itself sounds very neutral, a nice, non-aggressive, non overboosted, relaxing sound. A great thing to achieve with a device that isintended for a large audience, young and old enjoying music on the go, at homeor at work. The X1 has plenty of power to drive all the mentioned headsets withease, even louder than would be good for you.

My personal experience: TheSound
I like the neutral sound in a player as my preferred music kind isclassical music, mostly instrumental. Piano, violin all type of music with alot of fine detail, high and low tones. But, on the other hand I like a nicetrance part as well. Boesgaard, Van Buren …. Hmmm, they can please my ears aswell.

The FIIO X1 presents the classical and vocal music  with a lot of the detail I like, hearing thefingers of the pianist on the  keys, thepedals being operated, the bow striking the strings on a violin or  cello give so much more then content thenonly the tune. I find the X1 presents the artist playing the music, in all thedelicacy it was played.

When I put on some tracks by Armin van Buuren the base goes deep,nicely deep. “Sounds of The Drums”… then it hits you … van Buuren!! Yes!!  Smile on my face, pure joy!

My personal experience: Usingthe FIIO X1
The user interface and controls work very well. I  am more used to my AK 100 II and SamsungGalaxy S5 touch screens but found my  wayaround the X1 in a couple of minutes. Controls are easy to use can give goodtactile feedback. I do prefer touch screens for general browsing … BUT … thephysical buttons are practical with no need to turn on the screen to select thenext track, get back a track etc.

Operation is fast and responsive. Finding what you want to listen to iseasy.

The colleagues at work: TheSound
I have less information but I can confidently say the all of them wereimpressed. All of them listened to the same set of albums as in the list above,each could find what they like as type of music.

In general when I gave them the X1 to listen … I had to go get itback... All listened quite happily as long as they found music genres theyliked. Many of them switching back and forward between the X1 and their iPhone,iPad, Android Phones to compare.

The general consensus on the sound; “great”, “very nice”, “detailed”

The colleagues at work: Usingthe FIIO X1
I did not explain anything to anybody and nobody came to ask how to useit. So, user friendliness is good and intuitive. Often I saw them try touchingthe screen first, then automatically switching to the disk/button basedoperation.

With the rubber case on it was not handy to use for people not familiarwith its controls as there are no marking on the rubber protective sleeve. Thismight be an attention point for the future.

The general consensus on the ease of use; “easy to use after 5min of use andfiddling"

The colleagues at work: Pricereveal
Whuuut? 99€?

They know my AK 100 II and know that one was about 1000€ … so apositive surprise.

My question to them: Would you buy one at 99€?

Most of them where positive, some asked when it would be available fororder.

The colleagues at work: General pointthey made
Most of them find the FIIO X1 fills any expectation and need they havefor a music player. Most of them stated that they wonder if they would be ableto hear the difference with the AK 100 II, not that they doubt the AK 100 II,but in a noisy office and with little music listening experience they evaluatethe FIIO X1 cover their needs.

!attach_nopermission_notice!

You have to Login to download or view attachment(s). No Account?

Use magic Report

Fiio Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Fiio X1, Astell & Kern AK100 II, Samsung Galaxy S5 + E18
AMPs
FIIO E18, Centrance HiFi M8
Head Gears
Sennheiser Momentum, AKG K551, BO H3, MrSpeakers Alpha Prime
regtime
2014-11-6
Post time 2014-11-6 02:28:44 |Show all posts |
For the Dev's -- Editor Remarks:
* Number of characters is not very high (stripped text a bit)
* Some items need translation, my Chinese is a bit rusty!  
* Scaling of images is not stored correctly and they are deformed

Otherwise ... GREAT WORK!!   :-)   :-)

Use magic Report

Fiio Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
sony
AMPs
ssd
regtime
2016-1-6
Post time 2016-1-15 15:25:11 |Show all posts |

Use magic Report

Technical Support

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5
AMPs
E18
regtime
2014-11-18

Senator if Forums Honorary Admin Excellent Moderator Master of Publictity Enthusiastic Member Active Member Supernova

Post time 2016-1-15 16:58:20 |Show all posts |
Thanks, CasperBxl.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | 立即注册

About FiiO|Warranty|Contact Us|FiiO Forums  

GMT+8, 2017-7-23 20:38 , Processed in 0.029666 second(s), 23 queries .