Audio Sources
yinyuan
AMPs
erfang
regtime
2015-7-30
Post time 2015-10-29 04:19:48 |Show all posts |
Hello

Made the mistake twice of connecting headphones to the line out of the X3 2nd gen... did the first time, then full freakout panic, trying to check that nothing broke, used a second pair of headphones... and did it again!

The FAQ indicates that doing so, it *can* damange the headphones... so worried, I haven't used the device or the headphones to avoid making it worse.

Given what you know of the X3 2nd gen line output and the capabilities of consumer headphones (Shure SE215, AKG Q460), what are the chances anything got damaged for sure?

Thnx in advance

v

Use magic Report

Technical Support

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5
AMPs
E18
regtime
2014-11-18

Senator if Forums Honorary Admin Excellent Moderator Master of Publictity Enthusiastic Member Active Member Supernova

Post time 2015-10-29 10:06:44 |Show all posts |
Generally, signal come out from LO as standard music signal is used for follow-up audio processing such as amplification, sound effects, or adjusting the sound field.

See, signal from LO is mainly used for the proper transmission between different devices.

Thus, there is standard requirement of LINE OUT signal (mainly refers to the range of signal) within the range of international/national standard.

For the most efficiently signal transmission, the input impedance of devices connecting with LO should be higher than 1000 Ω.

So, the key feature of LO can simple summed as,
1.        Constant high level signal!
2.        Suitable for devices with high input impedance.
So, when you connect your headphone directly to line out, the volume is very large which will damange your headphone.

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Vibrations
AMPs
Marshall
regtime
2015-1-27
Post time 2015-11-2 08:23:35 |Show all posts |
Edited by OnTheBiio at 2015-11-2 08:27

Which is to say, a line-out signal is by definition the same from every device and pretty loud. It's not FiiO's specification--it's an industry standard.

I use it all the time running the X3 into a car-stereo AUX input.

So FiiO can't protect everyone in case they plug some super-sensitive headphones into Line-Out. If it's not a strong enough signal, it's not Line-Out.  

I have plugged phones into mine and it is indeed loud but not to the point of destroying the phones. My own SE215 survived the experience.

But if you are really worried about it, you can just put a piece of tape over the line-out jack. That way at least you'd have to think about it before plugging something in there.

Use magic Report

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
SL-SX480
AMPs
Objective2
DACs
ODAC B
Head Gears
K240 DF
regtime
2015-10-21
Post time 2015-11-2 14:46:28 |Show all posts |
Edited by alphire at 2015-11-2 15:09

When I connected my full-size headphones to LO, all I get is slightly above average volume .
Actually Line Out is very different from powered headphone output.
But even Fiio implementation is not 100% correct, which can be however advantageous, in certain setups.
X3 provides peak voltage of 1.54V RMS on LO. Industry standard is 2V RMS (see ODAC and Dragonfly), but it's very close.
It's all good for high impedance loads (that's why I can plug in even my headphoes). The problem with this LO on X3 is that it should not have low output impedance. LO needs to be high voltage, but should be protected by resistor in series, as one never needs any "power" out of LO, it's just for signal transmission.
However on X3, LO is treated as powered output, capable of delivering several miliwatts, something industry LO is not designed for.
For example Line Out on Zoom H4 provides 0.775V RMS peak, but has 10kOhm resistor in series, so it won't damage any powered voltage-sensitive equipment.

In fact there are two levels specified for line out:
-10dBu for consumer use (0.250V)
+4dBu for professional use (1.228V)

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X3II, X5, Note 4, iPod Touch 5th gen, iPod Touch 3rd gen
AMPs
Alpen E17, Alpen E17K
DACs
X3II, X5
Head Gears
Senn PX360, Momentum Wireless, Momentum 1.0, Senn HD700, Marshall Monitors, Bose AE2W (BT), Xioami Piston 2.1 (2)
regtime
2015-2-3
Post time 2015-11-3 08:22:48 |Show all posts |
Edited by samandhi at 2015-11-3 08:34
alphire replied at 2015-11-2 14:46
When I connected my full-size headphones to LO, all I get is slightly above average volume  .
Ac ...

I was not aware of the LO on the X3 being treated as powered. I guess I just assumed that because the EQ is NOT active from LO, that it was set up correctly.

Edit: I just read the changes to the latest FW, and I was wrong. The EQ CAN be used in both LO and coax......

Use magic Report

Technical Support

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5
AMPs
E18
regtime
2014-11-18

Senator if Forums Honorary Admin Excellent Moderator Master of Publictity Enthusiastic Member Active Member Supernova

Post time 2015-11-3 09:47:11 |Show all posts |
samandhi replied at 2015-11-3 08:22
I was not aware of the LO on the X3 being treated as powered. I guess I just assumed that because ...

Yes, samandhi, EQ set is inside the cpu instead of the LO circuit. So it will be effective in both the PO and LO

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X3II, X5, Note 4, iPod Touch 5th gen, iPod Touch 3rd gen
AMPs
Alpen E17, Alpen E17K
DACs
X3II, X5
Head Gears
Senn PX360, Momentum Wireless, Momentum 1.0, Senn HD700, Marshall Monitors, Bose AE2W (BT), Xioami Piston 2.1 (2)
regtime
2015-2-3
Post time 2015-11-3 17:42:35 |Show all posts |
Yellow replied at 2015-11-3 09:47
Yes, samandhi, EQ set is inside the cpu instead of the LO circuit. So it will be effective in both ...

OIC. Thanks.

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Flac
AMPs
Fiio X3II
regtime
2020-3-24
Post time 5 Day Before |Show all posts |
Hello, I'm curently listening with my B&W P7 headphones, via line out and It sounds so much better than the phones out. I would be very happy to keep using this LO, even without being able to adjust volume, since the volume level is perfect via LO. Do you think it's save to do it?

Kind Regards.

Use magic Report

Super Moderator

Born for music and happy

digest
F-Coin
regtime
2013-5-10

Medal of X3 Senator if Forums Honorary Admin Excellent Moderator Outstanding Contributors King of Chatting Master of Publictity Master of Promotion Enthusiastic Member Active Member Supernova

Post time 5 Day Before |Show all posts |
nmartins96 replied at 2020-3-24 08:16
Hello, I'm curently listening with my B&W P7 headphones, via line out and It sounds so much better t ...

Hello,

If you use the lineout output directly, the volume may be too high for your headphone.
Or you could enable the volume adjustable option from play settings.

Best regards

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Flac
AMPs
Fiio X3II
regtime
2020-3-24
Post time 4 Day Before |Show all posts |
Ok Thank you (your name?)

I did it, I enabled the volume adjustable and it works fine. Thank's!
Can you tell why is that the line out has more definition, and focused sound image, than the phones out? I'm using the X3II.

Regards,
Sérgio.

Use magic Report

Super Moderator

Born for music and happy

digest
F-Coin
regtime
2013-5-10

Medal of X3 Senator if Forums Honorary Admin Excellent Moderator Outstanding Contributors King of Chatting Master of Publictity Master of Promotion Enthusiastic Member Active Member Supernova

Post time 4 Day Before |Show all posts |
Hello,

The linout port will not pass the amplifer module of the X32. So maybe you would prefer the sound in that way instead.

Best regards

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

About FiiO|Warranty|Contact Us|FiiO Forums  

GMT+8, 2020-3-29 21:15 , Processed in 0.027692 second(s), 25 queries .