FiiO Forums

Retrieve Password
Register Now
/Sign In
Search
Author: Yellow

Beta firmware version 1.27 for the X5 2nd gen now available!

Intermediate Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5 gen ii: MP3, WAV, FLAC
AMPs
???
regtime
2015-9-9
Post time 2016-4-20 09:51:37 |Show all posts |
Yellow and dilburt (or anyone else who can help):

Thanks for the suggestion sop far, but sad to say, I tried running both chkdsk and SAMediaScanner on each of my disks, and both say they are clean (no problems).

HOWEVER, I have tried some additional things which are odd:

1. I moved my OLD SLOWER disks (exFat format, SandDisk microSDXC UHS-I at 320x, max 48MB/s, still 128Gb) from my X5 I to my X5 II, and the problem largely went away (only about a 2 seconds response delay after starting a song), but the trade-off is that browsing is back to being quite sluggish (whereas it was "lightning  fast", as others have put it, with the faster disks... but then those have the 10 seconds freeze after a song begins.) SO, worst case, I can use these disks, and live with the sluggish browsing.

Could my new faster disks (class 10, 533x, 80MB/s) be too much for it?

2. also: I tried re-setting my library with each (new) disk one at a time, and both experienced the  10 seconds freeze.

At this point, I suspect it is just not handling some of the oddities of my files properly.

Can someone let me know which of the following "exceptions" in a file might be causing a delay:

1) files with "_" to start the filename

2) files missing most metadata (such as title, contriubting artist).

3) files with duplicate meta-data but different file names

4) files with identical names, but one on each disk (I dont' think I have this, but just in theory).

My next plan is to re-format my new disks, and then copy the exact contents of the old disks over. If that doesnt' work, then it is something related to the new disks: their speed, or that combined with FAT32.

however, any other ideas /insights will be greatly appreciated!

Use magic Report

Intermediate Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
AMPs
???
regtime
2015-9-9
Post time 2016-4-21 03:10:20 |Show all posts |
Edited by hydec01 at 2016-4-21 03:12

UPDATE:

dilburt, thanks for 2nd reply. May I verify, are you sing the EXACT same cards (sanDisk 533x), formated in the same way: (FAT32 via the X5II ?)

I ask because I have now done a "controlled experiment". I re-formatted my new FAT32 high speed cards (533x) again, and filled them with the EXACT same contents as my old 320x cards (which are exFAT).

I still get a 10+ second delay in response to ANY key press after starting a new song using the newer, faster cards.

Both cards showed no problems  (smiley face) from SAMediaScanner. Further, "About X5" lists the correct number of song files after updating the library.

HOWEVER, when I replace the two new cards with my older, slower (320x, exFAT) cards of identical content, the delay goes almost away, down to 2-4 seconds.

(interesting fact: the X5II reads each set of cards no problem when swapping for the identical pair, but the X5I can't read the newer FAT32 cards when swapped unless I update the library).

ANYWAY, the point is, it appears to be something with the new, faster cards: either their speed, or the fact that they were re-formatted to FAT32.  

Note  that I doubt that the cards are bad, because as I had said, I also tried resetting the library and using one (533x., FAT32) card at a time, and each card alone still suffered the 10+ seconds delay.  The two cards came in separate packages, so unlikely both would be bad.

I did try removing suspicious files anyway (one with odd filenames, missing met-data, etc.) , still didn't help.

so, my conclusion is that class 10 (533x) cards re-formatted to FAT32 appear to have a unique issue with controls freezing for 10+ seconds after a song starts.

HOWEVER, if dilburt can verify that he has the same setup but not this issue, then I guess we might just have a mystery on our hands.

I suppose I can use my old cards to navigate around as I add favorites, but it would be much better if there was a fix for this.

thanks for listening!

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
FLAC, DSD, M4a/ACC, MP3
AMPs
Antique Sound Lab MG-Head Mark III, Meridian 502/557
DACs
FiiO X5III, Meridian 566/24
Head Gears
BGVP DM6, FiiO F9-Pro, Sennheiser HD 650, HD 600, HD 497, 1More Triple Driver, Klipsch S4, S4a
regtime
2016-3-6

Enthusiastic Member Active Member

Post time 2016-4-21 07:00:05 |Show all posts |
Edited by dilburt at 2016-4-21 07:01

Hi Hydec,

I'm using the class 10 (C10) UHS-1 128 gig SanDisk SDXC cards rated for 80 MBs transfer speeds (black card with "Ultra" in red labeling). I've actually seen these do a little over 80 MBs so they are very fast. I formatted them in the X5 II which is the only way I've found to get the best possible performance with no issues. I'm not sure why but I get intermittent errors when I format them in Windows using exactly the same settings.

SanDisk has a newer version of the black 128 gig cards which say "Extreme Pro" in red labeling that can do 100 MBs writes and 275 MBs reads that are rated Class 10 UHS-3. The 533x/320x ratings aren't used as much now so it's better to use the MBs transfer speed ratings. Since the only delay I experience with these cards is the time required to do a library update which is a write operation, these cards would only be a little bit faster so I'm not thinking of upgrading at this point since it would likely save me less than 20% of the library update time (80 MBs vs. 100 Mbs).

What do your cards say on the label (e.g. Ultra, Ultra Plus, Extreme Pro)?

Thanks,

D

Use magic Report

Intermediate Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
AMPs
???
regtime
2015-9-9
Post time 2016-4-21 14:24:47 |Show all posts |
Edited by hydec01 at 2016-4-21 14:26
dilburt replied at 2016-4-21 07:00
Hi Hydec,

I'm using the class 10 (C10) UHS-1 128 gig SanDisk SDXC cards rated for 80 MBs transfer s ...

dilburt,

thanks for getting back to me yet again.

My cards say "Ultra PLUS"on the packaging as well on as on the card itself (red letters on black, also like yours). So, I guess that's a difference, though not sure what it could be as the 80MB/s speed is identical (mine says "up to" 80Mb/s, but is also listed as class 10).

I went to the Sandisk website, ironically it lists the "PLUS" as only being up to 48 Mb/s, even though mine says 80 on the packaging. Mine looks exactly as shown here:

https://www.sandisk.com/home/mem ... /ultra-plus-microsd

It does't SEEM like there could be any reason the PLUS would differ, except mine is focused on saying  "UHS speed class 1 (U1)". Not sure why my packaging claims a higher (80Mb/s) speed than the website claims... perhaps this is an indication that there is something off with this model in that
they had to lower the speed claim after testing in the field? Could it be (I'd be shocked if this is the case, doesn't seem right) that the card itself indicates to devices a higher speed than it is capable of, and that this is causing a problem?  

Sound like yours is the one halfway down here?

https://www.sandisk.com/home/mem ... microsd-for-cameras

I guess I could try two different cards (e.g. the exact ones you have, so no "PLUS"), but we are talking about a $120 gamble.

<pause>

ACTUALLY. that's interesting, yours are on sale for $43 apiece on amazon, while mine is still around
$64 (but shows a different one in the picture), or $110 directly from SanDisk.

Okay, now HERE's a mystery: the advert (of your card) on amazon says it goes up to 80Mb/s, but the face of the card is IDENTICAL to the OLDER one I had (the older one is "Ultra"), but the older one I have claims only 48MB/s on the packing.

Mine still has a circled "10" on the disk, which indicates class 10, but I found out this only means 10MB/s minimum.

I was thinking of taking the cheaper $86 gamble, but don't want to get the same disks I already had (ALTHOUGH, it might make a difference in browsing speed formatting them to FAT32... but at this point, I don't want to do that to my older cards as at least they don't have the 10 second delay, but might if I reformat them).

does anyone know: can different SanDisk cards with the exact same name and markings on the card have different speeds?

anyway, I'd still hope that if the delay is due to some exception handling, then that can be coded around...

thanks again for your help!

Use magic Report

Intermediate Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
AMPs
???
regtime
2015-9-9
Post time 2016-4-23 16:27:05 |Show all posts |
Everyone,

sorry that I appear to have largely killed this thread with my long-winded exposition.

Final report: I DID end up getting the exact card(s) dilburt used, and formatted them to FAT32 in the device...

and still get the same issue.    In fact, it is now worse as the delay is more like 12 seconds.

Furthermore, the same cards experience the same delay when I put them in my older X5 gen I.

But the GOOD news is, my older exFAT cards (slower speed rating of 48MB/S) only get about a 5 second delay.

The only explanations() I can think of are:
1. there is something wrong with my device that causes an issue when formatting to FAT32.
2. the method of file transfer? I used the large black adapters the came with the microSD cards to transfer files via my computer's SD slot.. Is it possible using the cable with the cards in the DAP is preferred?
3. all my files are in the top level directory.   Dilburt, are yours organized by folder? Perhaps the delay is a search issue...

Anyway, I"ll keep trying to fix and let you know. In the meantime, I am still happy to have the alphabetical indexing with my older cards, it would just be nice to take advantage of the high speed navigation with he newer cards...but not worth the 10-12 second response-freeze after starting each song, at least not for me.

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
FLAC, DSD, M4a/ACC, MP3
AMPs
DACs
Head Gears
BGVP DM6, FiiO F9-Pro, Sennheiser HD 650, HD 600, HD 497, 1More Triple Driver, Klipsch S4, S4a
regtime
2016-3-6

Post time 2016-4-24 04:44:22 |Show all posts |
Edited by dilburt at 2016-4-24 04:53

Hi Hydec,

You will end up pulling your hair out if you try to make sense of their branding. Just test the transfer speed in your computer using a fast USB adapter or better yet using a computer with a native SD slot. Here is a very good USB 3.0 SD adapter for both micro and mini SD cards:

http://www.amazon.com/Rocketek%C ... _detailpage_o03_s00

Windows 10 has a fairly good transfer speed graph so it's easy to see how fast your cards are. You need to test in both directions since reading is always faster than writing. Also test by transferring one or more entire FLAC albums since you will see the speed starts out faster then settles down to a lower rate as the caches are filled or emptied (depending on read or write).

If your cards test at 48 mbs on reads and you have packaging that says 80 mbs then you should email SanDisk and tell them you want exchange your cards for 80 mbs cards since they were packaged incorrectly.

However, I still don't see how that could be causing your 10 second delay. I know it's a huge pain but I would suggest formatting one of your cards (I'm assuming you have it backed up) and place only one FLAC album on it then plug it into your X5 II as the only card and see if you still get the 10 second delay. If you do, delete that album and put on a random MP3 album and repeat the test and if you still have the problem then it's about 99.9% certain that either your memory card or your X5 II has a problem. I think you mentioned that you have some other memory card that doesn't cause this delay which would indicate that there is something wrong with your Ultra Plus cards or for some strange reason they are not compatible with the X5 II.

D

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Fiio X5ii
AMPs
none
regtime
2016-2-7
Post time 2016-4-24 22:27:58 |Show all posts |
No new fw for X5 ii?

Use magic Report

Technical Support

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5
AMPs
E18
regtime
2014-11-18

Senator if Forums Honorary Admin Excellent Moderator Master of Publictity Enthusiastic Member Active Member Supernova

Post time 2016-4-25 15:46:05 |Show all posts |
nekromantik replied at 2016-4-24 22:27
No new fw for X5 ii?

Hi, nekromantik, we are making the formal firmware for the x5ii. It may need a bit more time. Hope you could wait for it patiently.

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5 2nd Gen
AMPs
E12A, iFi iCan Micro, K5
DACs
Chord Mojo, X5II
Head Gears
HD-800, Fidelio X2,V-Moda M-100; V-moda XS, , Logitech UE 9000
regtime
2015-7-17
Post time 2016-4-26 22:10:19 |Show all posts |
Yellow that is good news . I think it is high time we get off the Beta status for the X5II
Source: X5II, Amplifier : iFi iCan Micro + E12A + K5
Headphones: HD800 + X2 Fidelio + V-Moda M100 + V-Moda XS + UE9000.
IEMS: Shure 535 + KEF 200M

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
FLAC, DSD, M4a/ACC, MP3
AMPs
DACs
Head Gears
regtime
2016-3-6

Post time 2016-4-27 12:52:59 |Show all posts |
Any estimate on when this will be ready?

Will this be referred to as version 1.3?

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5 2nd Gen
AMPs
-
Head Gears
Momentum 2.0
regtime
2016-4-26
Post time 2016-4-27 23:40:14 |Show all posts |
Edited by Vermin at 2016-5-8 20:49

Hi! I am new to Hi-Fi media players and I like my X5 II very much. I have used 1.27 beta for some time. It works well, but I have something to mention:

1) Is it possible to add volume control using headphone's remote?
2) OTG. It worked pretty well for me on 1.2 firmware, I hope you will add again this feature in the next update. It is very useful sometimes.

UPD: 3) Also it would be great to continue playback by headphones remote while X5 is in sleep mode.

Use magic Report

Intermediate Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5-ii
AMPs
Many.
Head Gears
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10's
regtime
2015-8-27
Post time 2016-4-30 00:38:57 |Show all posts |
1.27 is not reading the "artist" like it used to from my SACD ISO files.  They come up under "unknown artist" instead.

Use magic Report

Intermediate Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
AMPs
???
regtime
2015-9-9
Post time 2016-5-5 07:39:46 |Show all posts |
hi!

Another bug to report for 1.27 that I also saw reported elsewhere (but can't find it now):

I use a "custom" equalizer setting that maxes everything but tapers off bass, mainly due to my poor quality car stereo.

ANYWAY, when I first turn the X5 on it does add +6dB volume offset to everything , causing newer, higher volume songs to clip high peaks and sound horrible/grainy.

HOWEVER, if I go to equalizer under play settings, switch from custom to 'off', then switch back to 'custom', you can hear the volume reset itself to the normal level (no doubt about it.)

Note that I think this can be turned into a  feature: for some songs/albums that have chronically low volume settings in my collection, I welcome the +6dB. It would be great if for each song (or possibly have an option to do entire album), you could save this as an optional boost.

Bur having to go reset the equalizer almost every time I want to play a newer song on the player is HIGHLY annoying.

thanks!

Use magic Report

Intermediate Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
AMPs
???
regtime
2015-9-9
Post time 2016-5-5 11:19:25 |Show all posts |
hydec01 replied at 2016-5-5 07:39
hi!

Another bug to report for 1.27 that I also saw reported elsewhere (but can't find it now):

sorry, just realized that was reported earlier in this very thread, I was starting on page 3 when sorting, sorry...

however, ANOTHER bug, related to albums within artist:

they are not sorted in alphabetical order within artist, whereas they had been with older firmware (at least for X5 gen I).

thanks.

P.S. Am I still the only one experiencing a delay before you getting the "now playing"screen after starting a new song?

Use magic Report

Intermediate Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
AMPs
???
regtime
2015-9-9
Post time 2016-5-11 07:40:22 |Show all posts |
Edited by hydec01 at 2016-5-11 07:41

Final update (on this thread):

well, happy to close out this thread with a positive:

for my two newer faster cards that had caused the 10 sec delay: In windows 10, I did a FULL format back to exFAT (in other words, I did NOT check "Quick format"), hence setting all sectors to zero. Note that this takes several hours for each 128 Gb card. Then I re-loaded with my library, AND...

No more 10 second delay!!!! HOWEVER, the speed increase I had observed when the cards were FAT32 did seem a bit lessened.

Full disclosure: I had already updated to FW 2.0 (and so I will move further discussion of this issue to that thread), but that initially did not fix the 10 second delay, only the subsequent full format to exFAT did.

One last thing I will try, since I have a spare pair or newer, faster cards: do a FULL (zeroing all sectors) format to FAT32, and then try that. I do not think X5 does a full format, based on the formatting occurring so quickly..

My suspicion is that these newer, faster cards I had purchased came with data on them which does not get entirely erased with the quick format to FAT32.  My last experiment will test that, I'll report the results on the FW2.0 thread.

If not that, then there appears to be something at least sometimes wrong with reading FAT32 that does not occur with exFAT.

(another theory is that some portion of my library does something weird with album artwork
that is difficult to handle... a delay going to the "Now playing" screen would be consistent with
this being the issue...

it is also possible there is something just wrong with my device, although it is brand new...)

Use magic Report

Technical Support

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5
AMPs
E18
regtime
2014-11-18

Senator if Forums Honorary Admin Excellent Moderator Master of Publictity Enthusiastic Member Active Member Supernova

Post time 2016-5-12 16:42:07 |Show all posts |
dilburt replied at 2016-4-27 12:52
Any estimate on when this will be ready?

Will this be referred to as version 1.3?

Hi, dilburt, the 2.0 is available now.

Use magic Report

Technical Support

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5
AMPs
E18
regtime
2014-11-18

Post time 2016-5-12 16:45:26 |Show all posts |
derekofbass replied at 2016-4-30 00:38
1.27 is not reading the "artist" like it used to from my SACD ISO files.  They come up under "unknow ...

hi,derekofbass, who about the 2.0 version in this link?

Use magic Report

Technical Support

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5
AMPs
E18
regtime
2014-11-18

Post time 2016-5-12 16:48:38 |Show all posts |
Vermin replied at 2016-4-27 23:40
Hi! I am new to Hi-Fi media players and I like my X5 II very much. I have used 1.27 beta for some ti ...

Hi, Vermin, the volume control is related to the Apple patent. As we just support the Apple remote control headphone now, we could not make this.
2. The otg, USB OTG function (which had never been compatible with many USB devices) has been disabled to improve device detection in storage and DAC modes by the computer;
3. We would consider this.

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
FLAC, DSD, M4a/ACC, MP3
AMPs
DACs
Head Gears
regtime
2016-3-6

Post time 2016-5-15 07:07:35 |Show all posts |
Yellow replied at 2016-5-12 16:48
Hi, Vermin, the volume control is related to the Apple patent. As we just support the Apple remote ...

Hi Yellow,

Couldn't you implement OTG with the ability to enable/disable the feature and ship it disabled by default? That way if users want it they can enable it and if it causes problems they can turn it back off.

D

Use magic Report

Technical Support

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5
AMPs
E18
regtime
2014-11-18

Post time 2016-5-16 18:27:32 |Show all posts |
dilburt replied at 2016-5-15 07:07
Hi Yellow,

Couldn't you implement OTG with the ability to enable/disable the feature and ship it  ...

Hi, dilburt, that is a good idea, but we have tested it. There are still many issues. This lead us to decide to remove the otg. It is a hard dicision.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

About FiiO|Warranty|Contact Us|FiiO Forums  

GMT+8, 2019-9-22 18:00 , Processed in 0.032347 second(s), 21 queries .