F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5II
AMPs
none
regtime
2016-12-27
Post time 2016-12-28 00:48:36 |Show all posts |
My brand new X5ii does not seem capable of handling large external playlists. I have not seen this issue addressed in these forums. Has anyone else encountered (and, hopefully, solved) this issue?

I am using firmware 2.1, and have two Sandisk 200GB sd cards in the unit, with over 30,000 songs between them, mostly mp3s with some WAV and FLAC mixed in. I have tested most every function on the X5, and almost all seem to work -- I can play all file types on either card from Play By Category or Browse Files, and external playlists with a few hundred to 2,000 tracks work fine, whether the songs are on a single sd card or spread across both cards.

HOWEVER, I have several external playlists with 5,000 to 25,000 songs on them, and trying to access these causes the unit to freeze. With one playlist (all my Soul songs rated 4 or 5 stars, with 5,985 songs), I can launch the playlist, and skip and pause songs, but I cannot EXIT the playlist -- I can navigate back up one level, to see the complete playlist, but trying to navigate back up from there, to Browse Files, causes the window to go white. Music keeps playling, but cannot be paused or skipped. I can only solve the issue by ejecting the sd cards or plugging the unit into my computer.

Larger playlists cannot be accessed at all. If I click on my "4 and 5 star songs" playlist, which has >24,000 songs I have rated either 4 or 5 stars, the window simply goes dark, and all buttons cease functioning. I can only solve the issue by plugging the unit into my computer.

I'm not sure what's causing this problem, but it's a HUGE issue, as my preferred way to listen is to keep all my top rated songs in a given genre, or across all genres, on shuffle play, and all those playlists are over 5,000 tracks. I can shuffle all songs, or all songs within a genre, via Play By Category, but that mixes in lower rated songs.

I don't understand why I CAN shuffle all 32,000 songs on the unit via Play By Category, but CAN'T shuffle a very large subset of those songs via an external playlist. There must be a solution. I'm impressed with everything else about this player, but this one issue makes it almost worthless to me.

Use magic Report

Technical Support

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5
AMPs
E18
regtime
2014-11-18

Senator if Forums Honorary Admin Excellent Moderator Master of Publictity Enthusiastic Member Active Member Supernova

Post time 2016-12-28 10:01:31 |Show all posts |
Hi, tbq, sorry for this incovenience. It is suggested to limit the quality of the songs under 2000 because it will occupy much RAM to traverse the data in your playlist. Maybe you could consider to make more a bit playlists.

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5II
AMPs
none
regtime
2016-12-27
Post time 2016-12-28 15:13:28 |Show all posts |
Thanks for the info, at least now I know not to waste hours/days trying to solve the problem. I'm curious, though -- my old iPod played 25,000 track playlists with no problem, so clearly it's possible. I prefer my new X5ii to my old iPod in every single way except this one. Why can the X5 shuffle all my songs from Play By Category, but not from an external playlist, when the iPod could do both?

Use magic Report

Fiio Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
yinyuan
AMPs
erfang
regtime
2016-12-29
Post time 2016-12-29 22:04:34 from mobile |Show all posts |
hi, i'm jumping into this forum because it's the most recent and most related to my questions about the x5ii. i'm sorry tbq that I cannot answer your question about large playlists but i'm sure that you or someone out there can help a BIG TIME novice to get started.
I would like to start playlists from scratch for my x5ii. most of my music is wav recorded from vinyl. when I recorder these songs on audacity I labelled the tracks on put them in folders on my computer. I created playlists on my ipod by artist and from there I manually created more playlists in itunes. most of those wav files are now aac in itunes so i'm thinking I will have to start over again. Because these are recorded files there's only song title, no information about artist, album or genre.

so what would be the best way to set up my X5ii playlists on my computer so that I can use the playlist function properly. i'm thinking it might just be easier to creat folders on my computer by artist and just use 'browse files' but then I can only listen to one artist at a time..no..i'm thinking that wouldn't be ideal for me..so, ya, what is the absolute best and easiest way to create playlists from scratch with wav songs that were recorded from vinyl that are labelled by song title only?

sorry for my ignorance..i'm learning!

Use magic Report

Fiio Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
yinyuan
AMPs
erfang
regtime
2016-12-29
Post time 2016-12-29 22:10:21 from mobile |Show all posts |
oh, and i'm operating with windows 7..so I dont know if foobar is an option?!

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5II
AMPs
none
regtime
2016-12-27
Post time 2016-12-30 04:16:30 |Show all posts |
Edited by tbq at 2016-12-30 04:19
bestcore replied at 2016-12-29 22:10
oh, and i'm operating with windows 7..so I dont know if foobar is an option?!

You shouldn't have to start from scratch, if the folder structure on your x5ii sd cards is the same (or reasonably close to) what you have in your iTunes Media folder.

For example, my sd cards have folders for each Artist, with subfolders for each album within those, which matches what's inside my iTunes Media folder. So I was able to transfer all my old iTunes playlists to the x5ii with these steps:

1) In iTunes, highlight the playlist you want, right click, and choose export.
2) Save it as an m3u8 playlist.
3) Go to the folder where you saved the playlist, right click, and choose "open with...Notepad."
4) Replace file paths as necessary to match your sd cards. For me, this means replacing "C:\Users\Tim\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media" with "TF1:" and "C:\Users\Tim\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Compilations" with "TF2:" since I keep all my Compilations on the second sd card.
5) Add #EXTM3U" to the first line of the playlist.
6) Save this file in the root directory of sd card 1 on your x5ii -- be sure to save it as an m3u8 playlist.
7) Access the playlist on the x5ii via Browse Files (not via Playlists).

Took me a couple tries (and lots of forum browsing) to arrive at all of the above, but now it works flawlessly every time. I've moved over to Foobar, too, but the steps are generally the same from there -- so long as you keep your folder structure the same between media manager on your PC and sd cards in your x5ii, any song that plays properly in a playlist on your PC should do the same on your x5ii -- provided those playlists are under 3100 tracks.

Hope that helps. It will make me happy if I can return the favor to a new user that other forum users did for me.

Use magic Report

Fiio Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
yinyuan
AMPs
erfang
regtime
2016-12-29
Post time 2016-12-30 09:32:32 from mobile |Show all posts |
Thank you so much for taking the time to walk me through the steps. I really appreciate it!

i'll test it out on a playlist or 2 and i'll get back to you to let you know how I made out.

thanks again and happy holidays!

Use magic Report

Fiio Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
yinyuan
AMPs
erfang
regtime
2016-12-29
Post time 2016-12-30 09:38:30 from mobile |Show all posts |
oh, just one more thing..can I do the above operations with folders that are NOT in itunes..just regular folders on my pc? as I mentioned before, I want to put my wav files..not my converted aac files into my fiio. the other possible problem is that these wav files are vinyl recordings which have been saved as the song title and contain no additional information: artist, album, genre, etc..so I don't know how that will work when it comes to playlists, playoing songs by genre, album, artist, etc. when you get the chance, any additional info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks again

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5II
AMPs
none
regtime
2016-12-27
Post time 2016-12-30 13:00:43 |Show all posts |
If you want a playlist that already exists on your computer to function in your x5ii, the folders don't need to be in iTunes, they just need to be in a similar structure on your sd card as they are on your computer.

The only thing that matters, as far as the playlist is concerned, is the filename of the song, and the path to that filename.

So, if you have a playlist of aac files, but want wav versions of the same songs on your x5, a pre-existing playlist of the aac files will only play the wav versions if A) the wav versions are all in the exact same folders, and B) they have the exact same titles and C) you replace .aac at the end of every file name with .wav before saving the playlist to the x5ii.

If any of those conditions aren't already true, you may find it easier to start building your playlists from scratch. But you can still do that outside of the x5ii, if it's easier, and then transfer the playlists to the x5ii, using the steps already outlined. Just make sure the WAV files in your playlist are in a similar folder structure on the x5ii as they are on your computer, and change the paths as needed before saving the playlist to your device.

Use magic Report

Fiio Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
yinyuan
AMPs
erfang
regtime
2016-12-29
Post time 2016-12-30 23:32:49 from mobile |Show all posts |
thanks again! i've decided to start from scratch. I don't want to compromise sound quality by converting aac back to wav. I also want to label all my original wav recordings which is time-consuming but at least I have now discovered that it is possible to do with foobar. foobar is great! i'm learning a lot. I will rip all my cds to flac in foobar and my voinyl wav recordings I will keep as wav and finally have album titles and artist titles so I can organize my music better. creating everything externally in foobar properly, something I should have done a long time ago, will also make things easier the next time I upgrade my dap or get a new one. thanks again for you help and guidance!
all the best and happy new year!

Use magic Report

Fiio Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
yinyuan
AMPs
erfang
regtime
2016-12-29
Post time 2016-12-31 13:05:37 from mobile |Show all posts |
hi again! so I spent about 5 hours today creating a main playlist (default) of just my vinyl wav recordings that are stored on my computer. it took forever because I sifted through the songs I like most and also because I labelled them all by artist and album and genre in addition to track. I also have my cds and some mp3s to add to the playlist which I will start doing tomorrow. do these cd flacs and digital mp3 need to have identical paths as the vinyl files so that they will be together in the same folders. for example, sometimes I have somesongs from thw same album that are wav and some are mp3. does that matter? my big concern is the rest of my vinyl wav's that are stored on an external drive. I tested it out with one album..i added it to the foobar playlist and it worked fine, as long as it was plugged in..i havent tried uploading it all to my fiio yet. will it work to upload one playlist from foobar with music that comes from more than one harddrive? what happens if the source of the music changes locations? for example, my computer is running out of space, so some of the music that I uploaded onto foobar today will eventually get shifted over to an external drive. i'm also curious about updating the fiio. i'm constantly ripping new music to my collection and I will need to continuously add that music to the fiio. I noticed that you can add music to the fiio two different ways: 1) simply drop the files into the main fiio folder or 2) by following the steps you sent me for creating playlists. lets say I start by placing 1000 songs into the main fiio folder and then a month from now I want to create a playlist that contains 100 songs out of the original 1000 and 50 new ones. will I have doubles of those 100 songs if I create the playlist?

sorry again for all the questions and confusion. I just want to make sure I start things off right so that I dont have to backtrack or start over.

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5II
AMPs
none
regtime
2016-12-27
Post time 2017-1-1 07:35:29 |Show all posts |
Edited by tbq at 2017-1-1 10:54

Keep in mind that saving a playlist you made on your computer as an m3u8 file on your fiio won't also bring the audio files themselves over. The playlist is literally just a list of files, entirely separate from the files themselves.

So, the two steps you outline are not either/or, they are both/and: FIRST you put the 1000 audio files onto your fiio, THEN you put a playlist with some or all of those songs on the fiio (the playlist itself usually won't even be a megabyte) . If you only do step 2, there won't be any music files for your playlist to find and play.

So getting playlists you make on your computer to function on the fiio is mostly a matter of making sure the folder structure in which you store them on the fiio's sd cards is as close as possible to how they're stored on your computer.

For example, let's say you made a playlist on your PC with 500 songs from a Music folder on drive C, 250 songs from a WAVs folder on drive D, and 250 songs just sitting on the root of an external drive that shows up as G when you plug it in. That playlist will continue to function flawlessly in Foobar even if you move the files around (so long as you move them to folders that Foobar is indexing). Getting the playlist to work on your fiio means editing it to match however the files are stored on the fiio.

So, sticking with the example above, you could just drag and drop the Music folder from drive C and the WAVs folder from drive D to sd card 1 on your fiio, and then do the same for all the individual files from the external drive. IF you did that, then opened the foobar playlist in Notepad and replaced "C:\Music" with "TF1:\Music" and then replaced "D:\WAVs" with "TF1:\WAVs" and then replaced "G:" with "TF1:", then saved the playlist to your fiio (making sure to add #EXTM3U" to the first line), it would play properly.

As you added new songs to that playlist on your computer that you wanted on your fiio, you'd just repeat those steps, making sure to add the new songs to the sd cards on the fiio in a way that will make replacing their paths in the playlist as simple as possible.

Use magic Report

Fiio Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
yinyuan
AMPs
erfang
regtime
2016-12-29
Post time 2017-1-2 13:14:32 from mobile |Show all posts |
thanks again! this was extremely helpful! happy new year!

Use magic Report

Fiio Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
no
AMPs
no
regtime
2017-1-11
Post time 2017-1-12 04:20:31 |Show all posts |
bestcore replied at 2017-1-2 13:14
thanks again! this was extremely helpful! happy new year!

just to be sure: (because i what to buy one )
is it right, that x5 ii has no problem with large libraries (>30 000 songs) except if you have them in a playlist?
everything else is still acceptable fast?

Use magic Report

Fiio Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5 II
AMPs
N/A
regtime
2017-1-11
Post time 2017-1-13 06:18:38 |Show all posts |
I'm glad I read this thread, because this is exactly the same problem I'm having after just getting my first X5II, and so far Fiio hasn't touched my question - it won't play my large playlists. Mine are only in the 5,000 song range, but they give me the white screen lock problem every time I play them.

I'm interested in any strategies you've learned to help get around this (though I realize how it limits us). I also do not understand the response about limiting to 2000 songs because of the RAM it takes to traverse a large playlist. This doesn't make any sense at all, especially given what you point out about it having no problems shuffling the full contents of your library that is in the tens of thousands. What else is it doing, if not creating a playlist of all those songs and traversing it??? I just don't get it.

This has to be something that can be addressed with a firmware update.

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5II
AMPs
none
regtime
2016-12-27
Post time 2017-1-14 06:10:11 |Show all posts |
stoeff replied at 2017-1-12 04:20
just to be sure: (because i what to buy one )
is it right, that x5 ii has no problem with large  ...

Yes, stoeff, that's right. My x5ii has close to 40,000 songs, now, spread across two separate 200gb sd cards, and wortks just fine, provided I limit my external playlists to <3,500 tracks apiece.

Navigating to a specific artist or album in the middle of the alphabet, whether via Play by Category or by browsing through my own folder structure, can take a minute or more, given the thousands of artists in my collection, which is slightly irritating, and a step down from the speed with which my old iPod Classic handled such scrolling. But everything else about the player is great, and I don't mind trading that navigation speed for the ability to house so many more songs (and at such higher bit rates) than I could with my iPod.

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5II
AMPs
none
regtime
2016-12-27
Post time 2017-1-14 06:18:09 |Show all posts |
knackwurst replied at 2017-1-13 06:18
I'm glad I read this thread, because this is exactly the same problem I'm having after just getting  ...

Hi Knackwurst.

I don't understand their explanation, either -- they simply say the algorithms are different for Play by Category vs external playlists.

So far, I've found only two ways to deal with the problem: limit external playlists to < 3,500 tracks (I've been stopping at 3,095), or re-build your playlists on the device itself so you can access them via Play By Category (which, for a playlist over 5,000 tracks, requires quite a commitment).

That said, I am finding Play by Category to be far superior to external playlists, so believe it or not I have gone ahead and favorited more than 24,000 songs directly on the device. That took forever, but it's just so much faster and more pleasant to go into Play By Category and launch my Favorites Collection, or shuffle all songs, or shuffle all songs within a given genre, than it is to edit, save and launch external playlists that do roughly the same thing.

The only things stopping my x5ii from getting a ten out of ten from me are its inability to handle playlists over 3,100 tracks, and the amount of time it takes to navigate through long lists of artists, albums or tracks. Both *should* be fixable via firmware updates, but given that users have been complaining about the second problem for a while, I'm not sure Fiio plans on doing much about it.

Use magic Report

Fiio Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Fiio X5II
AMPs
Fiio E11
Head Gears
ATH-M30x
regtime
2016-6-20
Post time 2017-1-14 09:45:54 |Show all posts |
Edited by Jack16277 at 2017-1-20 23:44

Same story here, I wish to play in shuffle mode ALL tracks in the memories, but it seems it can't handle more than 9000/9500 tracks.

The strange thing is, every song is available if I search them by Artist,Genre,Album but not Tracks.

Simple question, is it possibile to receive a new firmware to fix this issue (not only handle big playlist, but handle ALL the tracks in shuffle mode) or is it an hardware limit of the X5II?

And another thing I've noticed, I've got almost 10.100 files, the player sees 9680.

Can it be a bugged mp3/flac? How can I recognize it?

Or is it a memory limit of the X5II?

Thank you

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | 立即注册

About FiiO|Warranty|Contact Us|FiiO Forums  

GMT+8, 2017-7-23 20:37 , Processed in 0.034501 second(s), 24 queries .