FiiO Forums

Retrieve Password
Register Now
/Sign In
Search
!show!: 2753|Reply: 11

M7 failing to impress. Close to literally throwing it in the garbage.

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
m7
AMPs
btr3
regtime
2019-1-18
Post time 2019-1-18 08:07:41 |Show all posts |
Greetings,

Had a wonderful surprise for xmas. An M7 that I have been coveting for some time. Very happy. Right up until I loaded it with 59G of music.

A test with an 8G card seemed to work fine, a 16G was also fine. Bought a no name 64g card formatted to exfat and loaded about 50G on it. At this point I noticed it was extrememly slow to access the card. Via file management it would not work at all, either locked up or crashed the app. Accessing the files via the folder section of the player would work but took a very long time....2min or more.

When playing I noticed some skips / stutters on various tracks and noticed they would skip in the same place everytime.

I loaded a sandisk 64G class 10 that I had with the same tracks and the result was the same....super slow, locking up, skip, stutter.

I bought a brand new Sandisk 64g ultra class 10 from staples and no change.

I ejected the card and copied the skipping tracks to internal memory and it worked fine. Back to the external media and problems re-emerge.

Tried reformatting, both quick and full....no change. Tried optimizing the folder for music. No change.

I reformated the new card and loaded around 1000 tracks. Worked fine but not really very speedy.

I added another 1500 tracks for a total of 2500. Worked ok but marginally slower, no skipping or stutters. Acceptable.

I added another 3000 tracks or so and boom! Crashes, File managment crashes, tried to play the tracks I knew were skipping before and the unit made nasty noises then locked up completely. No amount of pushing buttons in any combination helped then it spontaneously rebooted after about 15 minutes.

I'm resonably patient in these things knowing there are typically learning curves to be allowed for with a new gadget or tech.

I went throught something like this with a "smart" pen that cost 200 dollars and was a non stop pain in the butt. I literally tossed it in the trash to cut the losses in time trying to put it right. Very close to doing to same with this unit. Read all the glowing reviews and was very happy to see it under the tree but that is all going away now.

Is any of this ringing any bells at all with anyone? I have gone through the threads here but am not seeing similar problems.

Want to love it but I have very little time to waste on this. I am going to try another sd card of a different brand and of known good quality (which I thought sandisk was) and give it one more go. This was an xmas present and I will not put the gifter or myself through the hassle of trying to replace this unit. I will go with a different brand and likely more expensive I suspect.

Very frustrated.

Anyway...thought I'd throw this out there.

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
FLAC, DSD, M4a/ACC, MP3
AMPs
Antique Sound Lab MG-Head Mark III, Meridian 502/557
DACs
FiiO M11, X5III, Meridian 566/24
Head Gears
BGVP DM6, FiiO F9-Pro, Sennheiser HD 650, HD 600, HD 497, 1More Triple Driver, Klipsch S4, S4a
regtime
2016-3-6

Enthusiastic Member Active Member

Post time 2019-1-18 08:34:07 |Show all posts |
Edited by dilburt at 2019-1-18 08:37

Hi Clifford Reddog,

I've never owned an M7 but I currently have an X5 III and have owned others before this. I've found that memory cards do exactly what you are describing when you don't format them FAT32. If the M7 has the option, you should format them in the device. FAT32 allows Android to read the data natively in one pass while EXFAT requires an extra pass. Ignore statements that say you need to use exFAT for anything over 32 GB because that's something Microsoft did to force people to use NTFS. You can format SD cards with FAT32 on other systems to hold up to 2 terabytes (it would be nice to have SD cards that size but we are stuck with a bit less than that now) so if your version of Windows doesn't allow that then format the cards in your device or use a different system to format your cards.

D

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
m7
AMPs
btr3
regtime
2019-1-18
Post time 2019-1-18 09:30:44 |Show all posts |
dilburt replied at 2019-1-18 08:34
Hi Clifford Reddog,

I've never owned an M7 but I currently have an X5 III and have owned others bef ...

Thanks for this,

Am formatting one of the 64G sandisk ultra's as I type this. Fingers crossed because I like the form factor and feel of this unit and it seems to sound ok to me until I load up the card too much.

Thanks again.

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
m7
AMPs
btr3
regtime
2019-1-18
Post time 2019-1-18 09:51:44 |Show all posts |
CliffordReddog replied at 2019-1-18 09:30
Thanks for this,

Am formatting one of the 64G sandisk ultra's as I type this. Fingers crossed bec ...

Tried formatting the 64G card to fat32. Took like 30 minutes to do and then just says the card is too large for that format. Kinda feel like they could have said that going in but not real surprised. haha

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
m7
AMPs
btr3
regtime
2019-1-18
Post time 2019-1-18 23:44:52 |Show all posts |
dilburt replied at 2019-1-18 08:34
Hi Clifford Reddog,

I've never owned an M7 but I currently have an X5 III and have owned others bef ...

Had to format the card to fat32 via a third party utility but it did seem to help as the tracks no longer stutter or skip. In 90 minutes or more not once did it skip or anything. Once track glitched out totally but at least it did not lock the unit as it would have before.

Still going to try another brand of card but at least the thing is more or less working now and I can access my m3u playlists via the folder option of the player app, cannot access the external memory via the file management utility onboard mind you. It just times out and closes the app.

So it's a little better but I have zero faith this thing will run the advertised 512G cards....unless it is simply I have multiple crap cards.

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
m7
AMPs
btr3
regtime
2019-1-18
Post time 2019-1-23 06:02:15 |Show all posts |
Still fighting away with this thing.

Fat32 helped but still really slow operating. Wondering if the mix of formats I have is an issue so have removed all but mp3 from the card, factory reset the unit and trying again.

It occurs to me that I will soon have exceeded the price of the unit trying to find the magic combination of card and format that allows this unit to function even half way acceptably.

FIIO, I feel should not advertise these units as handling 512G cards when my experience so far indicates it barely handles 64G.

I kind of told myself I wouldn't waste too much time in resolving this things issues but here I am probably 8 or 10 hours of messing about with little to no real change other than fat32 working marginally better than exfat. Sector size does not seem to make any real difference.

As I type this the unit has scanned approx 5000 songs of all mp3 and no change. Still can't access the card via file management. I can access the card via the file folder option in the player app but as before, quite slowly.

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
FLAC CD Rips via EAC
AMPs
None
regtime
2019-1-18
Post time 2019-1-23 07:52:31 |Show all posts |
Edited by YesRushGen at 2019-1-23 08:11

Hey Cliff,

I wonder if maybe you have a "flaky" micro SD card on your hands... Is it something you can return and get a new one? It's possible you are having the same issue I had, (refer to my latest post) but your SD card is just not quite dead yet.

Anyway, just sharing my experience so far!

Kelly

PS...

Cliff, I forgot to add...

I'm assuming you have a card reader, as you stated you formatted the card as FAT32. I have found NO way to do this in the M7 itself, so yeah, I assume you have a card reader.

If you do get a new card - do not put it in the M7. Immediately place in your card reader, use the 3rd party formatting tool to go FAT32 with it, and copy your music over.

Again, I'm just an amateur... But that's what I did and it's working fine, so far. (No lengthy listening sessions yet)

Kelly

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
fiio m7
AMPs
fiio m7
regtime
2020-7-17
Post time 2020-7-17 02:03:53 |Show all posts |
Edited by roymoses at 2020-7-17 02:13
CliffordReddog replied at 2019-1-23 06:02
Still fighting away with this thing.

Fat32 helped but still really slow operating. Wondering if th ...

hey cliff

im having the exact same issue with my M7 .

i have 128GB SanDisk SD card which seem to work really well in all the smartphones i have used it in.

i like to organize my music in folders according to genre. the rnb and reggae folders which contains about 1000 and 70 songs respectively seem to load with ease .

However as soon as i attempt to open the hip hop folder which has about 9000 songs it takes a minimum of 2-3 mins to open and sometime the fiio music player just freezes up and i would have to reboot the device . i do not even bother with the file management . its a dead end. its even worse AND the tracks from the hip hop folder tends to stutter and skip like a broken CD.

As far as i can tell from your posts and comments so far formatting the SD card didnt really fix the problem either for you . the SD card is a SanDisk 128gb class 10.

And i believe its perfect. its m7 unit thats the problem.

emailed fiio m7 support wasnt really helpful all they said, was the RAM on it is small and loading it with alot of files would slow it down.

its so annoying, why wasnt that advertised?. at least just tell us what the unit can truly handle and let the customer decide.

i have a big catalogue of music files. it annoys me that i wasted money on this . should have spent more and got the sony walkman i was considering earlier .

please, can you tell me if anything else worked and has your experience improved since ?

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X5III
AMPs
E17 no display
regtime
2019-1-31
Post time 2020-7-17 07:37:29 |Show all posts |
for what it's worth my X5-3 has 400 and 256 GB cards, one Sandisk the other Patriot, nothing special, both formatted in exFAT both recognized in multiple computers, file transfer is good, and no stuttering in playback.  I have about 80,000 tracks on the two cards.

I do not know if the M7 has some other criteria but other than the overall usage of my player being awkward and clunky, it is OK.

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
FiiO m7
AMPs
Kenwood M1 Basic
regtime
2020-11-20
Post time 2020-11-20 11:56:46 |Show all posts |
I fixed the problem on my M7.  There are two steps to getting it to work well.

1.  Format FAT32 "SSD Optimized".  You need to do a complete format, starting by deleteing the old partion.  Use a good Class 10 SD Card.  Cheap Chips don't work.

2.  Up date the built in FiiO Music Player with the newest Fiio Music Player from here:"http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=45481&extra=page%3D1"
Download the APK for the M devices and place it in on your newly formated SD Card along with your Music Files.  Insert the card in the player and start it up.
From Settings on your M7, go to apps, click on FiiO Music Player and delete it.
Using the File Manager on the M7 locate the New FiiO Music Player APK File.  Select It and follow the steps to install it.  The player will now index your files (I have 4115 files) much faster.  It still takes time, but you won't pull your hair out waiting.

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
M11
AMPs
None
regtime
2020-1-4
Post time 2020-11-21 01:43:05 |Show all posts |
Edited by Olddapman at 2020-11-23 03:45

I had an M7 ran a 64gb, then a 256gb and finally a 512gb all Sandisk from a reputable store /  staples. Bought them stuck them in the player. Loaded from my Mac direct to the player. All of them ran perfectly.
Transferred the 512gb and the 256gb to an M11 all running without issue. This is across a mix of files from mp3 to flac and others.

So it can work on an M7 maybe just been lucky.  
Hope you find a fix and stick with the player it’s a great piece of kit.

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
FiiO m7
AMPs
Kenwood M1 Basic
regtime
2020-11-20
Post time 2020-11-21 03:29:15 |Show all posts |
Edited by pdeblieck at 2020-11-21 05:26

My fix posted yesterday worked for me.  I also have a X3 (First Gen) that work well with exFAT or FAT32.  Not the best user interface, but much snappier.  I've noticed that even the X3 runs faster with FAT32.  I'm using a 256 GIG Samsung EVO SD card in the M7,with a mix of OGG Vordis and FLAC (24 / 96 K) files.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

About FiiO|Warranty|Contact Us|FiiO Forums  

GMT+8, 2020-12-4 13:30 , Processed in 0.024772 second(s), 23 queries .