FiiO Forums

Retrieve Password
Register Now
/Sign In
Search
!show!: 684|Reply: 4

Mac solution to make K3 Always On to stop popping noise?

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
iMac
AMPs
K3
regtime
2019-4-27
Post time 2019-4-30 19:03:38 |Show all posts |
Edited by cmitchel at 2019-4-30 19:06

Hi,

I recently purchased a K3.

I am using it on an iMac (Late 2014 running macOS 10.14.4 Mojave) with the line-output to drive Bang & Olufsen Beolab 4 speakers and a Cambridge Audio Minx 201 Subwoofer. The sound quality is excellent.

However,I am experiencing the issue of click/popping noises when the audio starts and stops. These are low volume, but clearly audible and quite annoying.

I found this on your forums, which shows a work-around for Windows PCs by keeping the K3 “Always On” rather than “On When Needed”.

Fiio K3 click/popping noise when audio starts/stops - http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=43993

This fix looks like it works, but I cannot implement it on macOS as the K3 uses the Mac’s native drivers.

Is there a way to switch the K3 (or the equivalent Mac driver to your own PC driver) to ‘Always On” on the Mac? - via Terminal commands if necessary or altering a configuration file in CoreAudio, a firmware update, etc?

Many thanks, Chris

(I emailed this issue to the Support address, but recieved no reply so do not know if it was receieved)

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
iMac
AMPs
K3
regtime
2019-4-27
Post time 2019-5-3 14:45:32 |Show all posts |
Edited by cmitchel at 2019-5-3 14:50

A few days have passed without any acknowledgement from Fiio Support that this is being worked on or even considered.

The people who buy a DAC for do so for high quality sound and should not accept regular clicks generated by the DAC electronics.

Fiio's product marketing page for the K3 on fiio.com shows this product being exclusively used with Macs in a desktop senario!!

But, if this problem cannot be fixed for Macs please just tell us...

Use magic Report

Super Moderator

Born for music and happy

digest
F-Coin
regtime
2013-5-10

Medal of X3 Senator if Forums Honorary Admin Excellent Moderator Outstanding Contributors King of Chatting Master of Publictity Master of Promotion Enthusiastic Member Active Member Supernova

Post time 2019-5-6 17:50:55 |Show all posts |
cmitchel replied at 2019-5-3 14:45
A few days have passed without any acknowledgement from Fiio Support that this is being worked on or ...

Dear friend,

We did not receive similar feedback from other user using MAC. Which software you are using? There is no DAC driver for MAC system. Maybe you could check using other MAC computer and software instead.

Best regards

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
USB
AMPs
K3
regtime
2019-5-16
Post time 6 Day Before |Show all posts |
Hello I am having the same issue on both macOS High Sierra and macOS Mojave.

The internal switch of the K3 is turning on and off, and any time a system sound plays, all you get is a couple of pops and no audio. When you play an entire song, it works fine after it switches on.

In Windows there is the hidden options menu work around where you can set the K3 Streaming "Always On" and it fixes the problem.

Can you please provide instructions on how to make the K3 "Always On" in macOS?

Thank you

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
USB
AMPs
K3
regtime
2019-5-16
Post time 5 Day Before |Show all posts |
cmitchel, I found a work-around today. If you install some system software like "Audio Hijack" you can basically re-route all system audio to the K3 device. This has the same effect as turning streaming "always on", but has the drawback of needing an app always running in the background (although, that's exactly what this app is supposed to do... plus many other features).

cheers

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

About FiiO|Warranty|Contact Us|FiiO Forums  

GMT+8, 2019-5-22 12:35 , Processed in 0.024394 second(s), 24 queries .