AMPs
amps?
regtime
2019-11-28
Post time 2019-11-30 01:08:07 |Show all posts |
Edited by NotASpeck at 2019-11-30 01:10

Model: M6
Firmware: 1.0.2
Card: SanDisk 512GB Extreme MicroSDXC UHS-1 (A2, U3, V30).
Card File System: exFAT
Computer OS: Windows 10 Pro Workstation

STEPS:
  • Connect the M6 via the supplied cable to USB
  • Open the device in a window
  • Copy a small number of music files (12-24) to a folder named "/storage/external_sd/music"
  • OR copy m3u playlists (8-10 files, each under 200KB) to "/storage/external_sd"

RESULT: it takes *forever*, usually never successful.

OPTIONALLY: if I take the 512GB out of the M6 and connect it to the computer with SD card adaptor in a normal SD card reader, the read / write speeds are normal. I copied 300GB of files this way and it was fine

BUT THEN, updating the music / playlists on the SD card (put back into the M6) with a few files at a time is painfully slow, even just a few small text files (playlists)

USING A 128GB card: does not have this issue.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or was this size of SD card not properly tested (I am not even going to try the "theoretically" supported 2TB SD card).

Thanks, Chris

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Fh1
AMPs
BTR1K
regtime
2019-7-29
Post time 2019-12-2 07:43:05 |Show all posts |
nah its only usb 2.0,

Even their new flagship M11 Pro is only USB 2.0.

I just ended up getting sick of it and taking the SD card out and doing it that way.

I'd assuming the more it has to update at once the harder it has to work so if you want it all on one card (ie your 512gb) then I'd suggest copying/updating in 100gb lots.
It won't scan the whole card again each time, only new files/changes.

Welcome to owning a FiiO M6,  A decent little player that is let down by its SoC.

Also don't expect anymore updates.

Glad FiiO replied to you super quick though.......... Oh wait.

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
mp3
AMPs
amps?
regtime
2019-11-28
Post time 2019-12-2 09:44:22 |Show all posts |
Sean2e, I am not expecting a response over the weekend.

Use magic Report

Super Moderator

Born for music and happy

digest
F-Coin
regtime
2013-5-10

Medal of X3 Senator if Forums Honorary Admin Excellent Moderator Outstanding Contributors King of Chatting Master of Publictity Master of Promotion Enthusiastic Member Active Member Supernova

Post time 2019-12-3 10:27:31 |Show all posts |
Dear friend,

Try to format the card to FAT32 using this tool and check again: https://www.dropbox.com/s/359hnf44wn3udtk/guiformat.exe?dl=0

Best regards

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
mp3
AMPs
amps?
regtime
2019-11-28
Post time 2019-12-4 01:21:40 |Show all posts |
I tried the FAT32 solution but it did not work.

While it was a faster copy with FAT32, it was error prone, as follows:
  • Copying 22 playlist files (m3u) to M6-mounted SD card -- only 7 copied
  • Tried the same card in a normal SD card reader: all files copied fine
  • Deleted files from step 2, tried step 1 again -- same result (same 7 files)
  • Checked encoding of all 22 playlist files: all are the same (UTF-16 LE)

For each file that did not copy, the operating system gave an error sound.

Confidence is very low that my music files will not copy with similar errors, so I cannot rely on this method. I am going to reformat the card to exFAT and copy all of my music / playlist files back to the card (via an SD card reader, not mounted in the M6).

In the future, I suggest that you test this yourself rather ask the user to do so (have your own 512GB card, replicate the user's operating system environment, etc.). It will now take me several hours to re-load all of my content onto the card.

You are selling this M6 with a reported capacity of 2TB (as reported on retail outlets). I am only trying to copy ~300GB to a 512GB sized SD card (the size of card your owner's manual specifies as supported, and the manual does not state what file system to use). The user experience is far less friendly than it should be for a global brand -- this will factor into my word-of-mouth recommendations to others (don't buy, try another brand).

Tip: your common user will not want to deal with this file-system nonsense AT ALL.

Chris

Use magic Report

Super Moderator

Born for music and happy

digest
F-Coin
regtime
2013-5-10

Medal of X3 Senator if Forums Honorary Admin Excellent Moderator Outstanding Contributors King of Chatting Master of Publictity Master of Promotion Enthusiastic Member Active Member Supernova

Post time 2019-12-4 16:18:52 |Show all posts |
Actually, you could use a card reader for help in order to receive faster read/write speed.

Best regards

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
mp3
AMPs
amps?
regtime
2019-11-28
Post time 7 Day Before |Show all posts |
Yes, we have already discovered that we must use a card reader (which is not a resolution or fix, but is just a work-around for a problem that still exists).

This product is marketed with capabilities it does not have, or performs very poorly on.

• Connects to PC with MTP protocol for transfer of content
  • Uses up to 512GB of SD storage (as per the owners manual -- the marketing material actually claims up to 2TB of SD storage capability, which your support team now calls "theoretical", as if this capability was never actually tested to be true).

I can do number #2 utilizing the work-around of a 3rd party card reader, but not with the MTP protocol support that is claimed in the marketing material as stated in #1 above.

Your brand and products will not sustain world-class status by failing to overcome simple barriers that other manufactures have.

Please be sure that this message gets forwarded to management.

Chris

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

About FiiO|Warranty|Contact Us|FiiO Forums  

GMT+8, 2019-12-13 09:13 , Processed in 0.022999 second(s), 23 queries .