Audio Sources
VLC
AMPs
X5
regtime
2020-2-13
Post time 2020-2-13 09:23:58 |Show all posts |
Hello

I am the proud owner of the X5 device. Im really happy with the audio quality, the feel of the device and the advertised features which i look forward to exploring. My problem is the device is incredibly slow. It takes several minutes to load an app, even the FiiO music player takes ages to load and whenever i turn the device back on again it has forgotten all of the songs that are on the micro SD card and i have to go through that whole process again.

I have recorded a video to explain my points here: https://youtu.be/xF8SmJWzltg

Id really appreciate some help on this if anyone knows anything. The place i bought it from is in a different city so id really rather have a good go of trying to fix it before going back to them. I am new to using DAPs and i reckon this is the perfect device for me but i just want to fix this bug

I have installed the OTA update but the problem is still there

Thank you for reading.

Use magic Report

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
flac, mp3, CDs
AMPs
avr745
DACs
X7ii, X5iii, avr745
Head Gears
T70, H8
regtime
2017-7-31
Post time 2020-2-13 14:31:58 |Show all posts |
Dear Nicolas

I just had a look at your video... your x5iii really is responding extremely slow.

Please try the following steps to try to cure the system:
1. shut down your device and take off your micro SD card
2. restart your X5iii and do a factory reset
3. download the latest firmware available to your computer: http://x5pack.fiio.net/1.2.4/X5-ota-1.2.5.zip
4. connect your X5iii to your computer by usb cable and copy the X5-ota-1.2.5.zip into the internal memory root folder
5. disconnect your X5iii safely
6. open EZ File explorer, navigate to the new firmware file and choose to install it
7. navigate to the log folder on your internal memory and delete all files in it
8. download the latest player app to your computer: http://fiio-file.fiio.net/FiiO%20MusicX1.1.8.apk
9. reboot your X5iii and connect it to your computer just as you did for the firmware.
10. copy the apk file to your internal memory and use EZ File Explorer to install it.

Done ... now your X5iii will contain the latest firmware and software.
Its important that the internal memory will leave enough free memory to handle your files. In case its too full, your device will react very slowly. So its a good idea not to keep any external files such as music, video or picture files on your internal memory.
I saw that you installed vnc as an external player. Please ensure that there are no additional media files in the internal memory.

In the end, shut down your x5iii and mount your micro SD card again. Its probably a good idea to refresh the media list in your music player software.

In case this won‘t help, please contact FiiO support for professional help

good luck for you

Use magic Report

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
flac, mp3, CDs
AMPs
avr745
DACs
X7ii, X5iii, avr745
Head Gears
T70, H8
regtime
2017-7-31
Post time 2020-2-13 14:42:02 |Show all posts |
Oh, btw. ... log files are helpful for finding out problems on your device.
You may want to save them to your computer before deleting them.
Please don‘t use EZ-file explorer to delete them, thats not very effective. Delete them while you connected your X5iii to your computer using the file explorer of your computer.

Unfortunately your device won‘t delete these log files by itsself, so you have to do some system maintanace to keep up the performance of your device.

One last hint ... its no good idea to install external streaming software that will buffer media files into the internal memory. There is too less memory for such a buffering. As a reaction your device will run into an empty memory space situation which will slow down your device dramatically.

I hope I could give you some helpful hints for performance optimization

Good luck for you

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
VLC
AMPs
X5
regtime
2020-2-13
Post time 2020-2-13 15:44:38 |Show all posts |
hi, thank you so much for replying. I will do this and get back to you in the next day. thank you again, i am very appreciative

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
VLC
AMPs
X5
regtime
2020-2-13
Post time 2020-2-14 09:23:22 |Show all posts |
Hi there, just a little update as to where i got to

I had some trouble updating the firmware. I tried putting the X5-ota-1.2.5.zip software on as both zipped and unzipped format but wasnt able to figure out how to actually lanuch the installer so i ended up using this tool (http://fiio.net:8000/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41890).

Will that update to the latest firmware?

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
VLC
AMPs
X5
regtime
2020-2-13
Post time 2020-2-14 09:30:21 |Show all posts |
One last hint ... its no good idea to install external streaming software that will buffer media files into the internal memory. There is too less memory for such a buffering. As a reaction your device will run into an empty memory space situation which will slow down your device dramatically.

What if i use download those files instead of streaming to the internet

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
VLC
AMPs
X5
regtime
2020-2-13
Post time 2020-2-14 12:08:09 |Show all posts |
ok after following all of your steps it is running better! Thank you so much for your help

My only thing now is trying to store all apps and podcasts on the external micro SD cards which im not sure how to do.I dont want to make the same mistake as last time

Use magic Report

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
flac, mp3, CDs
AMPs
avr745
DACs
X7ii, X5iii, avr745
Head Gears
T70, H8
regtime
2017-7-31
Post time 2020-2-15 00:08:29 |Show all posts |
Hi Nicolas

Congrats for bringing back life to your X5iii again. Unfortunately I found out that most external streaming apps only use the internal memory space to buffer or download their media files.

The X5iii really is a great device, but its not made for streaming. I don‘t think its a fault from FiiO, ... those third party apps should have an option to decide how to handle temporary files.

Well, ... anyways. I am glad you are able to enjoy your X5iii again. I‘d suggest, you try to use local media files for playing excellent music primary
Please keep in mind those rules for internal memory and cleaning up those log files from time to time and you will really like that great sound which is created by this tiny device

Just for some future experiments: FiiO published the X5iii firmware code as freeware, so other developers used to create some different optimized firmware for this great device. But ... you should first try out the original firmware configuration before starting any experiments

Those custom firmware will offer some additional media formats (higher DSD quality) and more performance, but I am not sure about the risk of other limitations.

In case you run into other problems, ... feel free to post it in this forum. There are many helpful guys in here

Cheers, DJJ

Use magic Report

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
flac, mp3, CDs
AMPs
avr745
DACs
X7ii, X5iii, avr745
Head Gears
T70, H8
regtime
2017-7-31
Post time 2020-2-15 00:15:28 |Show all posts |
Third party apps will install in local memory as default. I am not sure if there is an option to install apk files on micro SD card.

Due to that, I decided to reduce my additional apps to the absolute minimum.
- neutronMP as my preferred music player software
- teamviewer server for remotely controlling my X5iii

AND NOTHING ELSE

As long as you will follow the rules for keep your internal memory as free as possible it will guarantee much fun with your X5iii. Keep in touch to this forum to stay informed about newer firmware and updated player software

Cheers, DJJ

Use magic Report

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
flac, mp3, CDs
AMPs
avr745
DACs
X7ii, X5iii, avr745
Head Gears
T70, H8
regtime
2017-7-31
Post time 2020-2-15 00:25:10 |Show all posts |
I just had a look at the firmware update tool made by FiiO.

This tool is working great, but it includes the firmware 1.2.3 which is not the current firmware.
Please download firmware 1.2.5 for your X5iii device which I mentioned above and replace the update file mentioned in that FiiO updater. There is an helpful documentation which will guide you through the upgrade process.

Good luck with it, DJJ

Use magic Report

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
flac, mp3, CDs
AMPs
avr745
DACs
X7ii, X5iii, avr745
Head Gears
T70, H8
regtime
2017-7-31
Post time 2020-2-15 01:02:01 |Show all posts |
In case you want to have some more background information, you may like to read my article about system maintanance on FiiO X* android devices:

http://fiio.net:8000/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=43188

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

About FiiO|Warranty|Contact Us|FiiO Forums  

GMT+8, 2020-2-25 16:08 , Processed in 0.023491 second(s), 22 queries .